Facelifts remain a popular cosmetic procedure, and one we perform regularly in our office. There are many advantages, including eliminating wrinkles and jowls, recontouring facial muscles, and overall instilling a more youthful appearance. However, as with any surgery, you can expect some swelling, bruising, and other inconveniences for a few weeks.
Nonetheless, we are also pleased to offer a minimally invasive alternative to traditional facelift surgery using laser technology. It is not the same as a facelift, but it can address similar cosmetic issues and may be a great choice for those who cannot or do not wish to undergo a more conventional surgical facelift.
What Conditions Can a Laser Facelift Treat?
This technology is an effective tool to improve facial contouring and reduce or eliminate the appearance of conditions such as:
- Fine lines
- Double chins
- Poor jawline definition
- Sagging skin
- Turkey neck
- Excess fat
How It Works
The procedure uses small (yet highly sophisticated) laser at the end of a wand to safely heat the skin. Instead of large incisions made with a scalpel, the laser tool can be inserted into lower layers (subcutaneous tissue) of the skin through three microscopic entry points—each smaller than the tip of a ballpoint pen. This produces three significant biological effects:
- Tightening top layers of skin
- Melting away fat between the skin and muscle tissue
- Tightening the deep fascia surrounding facial muscles
These tightening effects may continue and persist for up to six months following the procedure, meaning that your appearance will continue to slowly improve as the full benefits of the procedure emerge. The results are long-lasting.
The laser intelligently responds to real-time temperature feedback, and will automatically shut off if the surrounding tissues get too hot. This greatly reduces the risk of tissue damage from overheating.
Advantages of a Laser Facelift
The laser procedure offers many significant benefits:
- Appointments are brief, sometimes as little as 30-60 minutes.
- General anesthesia is not needed, so you can be awake and comfortable for your procedure (and drive home afterward).
- Smaller incisions (three small holes rather than long incisions) mean lower risk of infection, less scarring, and no stitches.
- Minimal downtime and recovery. You should be able to return to work and most activities almost immediately. If present, bruising and swelling tend to be very minor and last only 3-5 days, rather than a couple of weeks.
The Next Steps
If wrinkles, sagging skin, and other problems have you longing for a more contoured, youthful-looking face, a laser facelift procedure might be right for you. However, this is only one of many procedures we provide to help rejuvenate facial appearance. Each comes with its own advantages and disadvantages. Some may be ready for a surgical facelift, while others might prefer fillers or laser skin resurfacing, to name a few alternatives.
During your consultation, Dr. Lisa Learn will discuss the particulars of each procedure in detail and address realistic expectations for each. We want to make absolutely sure you’re comfortable with your procedure and get results you’re happy with! To schedule your consultation, please call (954) 380-8411 today.